Thursday, November 25, 2010

Bath, England

I recently took a business trip to Bath in Somerset, England, famous for the Roman Baths and infamous (in my mind) for Chaucer's Wife of Bath.

Wandering around the center of Bath, it was hard to miss the Roman bath tourist attraction, right near Bath Abbey.
Roman Baths Facade

I went to the William Herschel museum. I had recently read the Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes, which featured an extensive biography of Herschel and his discoveries. He was famous in the 19th century for his telescopes, discovering Uranus and numerous comets as well as for outlandish theories of cosmology. I was lucky to happen to be in the city where he did his early work. They turned his former home into a very modest museum.
Herschel museum exterior



The Abbey Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Bath
Bath Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment