Tuesday, April 7, 2009

New development machine

Not wanting to abuse my work laptop too much, I decided that for my own personal development I needed a new machine, laptops are relatively cheap these days.

I decided on getting a lower-end machine (which means less on the CPU and Graphics card side, but leaving ample memory and hard disk space). After browsing around different reviews and shopping a bit, I decided to settle on a Toshiba Satellite M305-S4907

Basic specs:
* 2GHz Intel® Pentium® Processor T3400
* 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM
* 320GB HDD (5400rpm)
* Windows Vista® Home Premium (SP1, 64-bit)
* 14.1" widescreen display
* 5.2 lbs

It took me a few weekends to get used to how use Windows Vista, but I am really enjoying this pc now. I recommend it. Graphics scored somewhat low on the Windows Vista benchmark, but other than World Wind, I don't really use any graphics intensive applications. Unfortunately, World Wind is fairly graphics intensive and that was one of the primary reasons I bought this laptop, to do open source development when not at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment