Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blogger stats behind the scenes

I had a look at the stats feature that is provided by Blogger for your site automatically. This is the first look I've actually had at the traffic to my site since it began. This is the view that webmasters get into the site traffic:

This has got me thinking about how to increase traffic to this blog, and provide more useful information to the public.

Top Post
Installing Korean support on Windows Mobile 6.5 (Feb 27, 2010)
Distant 2nd place
Java HashMap vs. C# Hashtable (Apr 18, 2009)
Posts on other programming topics, including recent Ubuntu/Linux related posts round out the rest of my "top posts". On the other end posts on Redwoods don't seem very popular :(, and neither do the WorldWind topics (surprise, surprise).


It was very cool to see an audience from across the globe.

Top Ten Countries
  1. United States
  2. France
  3. Germany
  4. South Korea
  5. Canada
  6. Singapore
  7. Japan
  8. Netherlands
  9. India
  10. Indonesia

Thank you all for reading!

Conclusions
My goal with the blog has always been to document information I consider useful. If it couldn't help others in someway, why bother posting it on a public channel like a blog? To that end I think I should do more to attract visitors and give them more of what they want. Some interpretations of my statistics so far:
  • More content = more page views. I have a backlog of topics I would like to write about. I will make an effort to start putting out these posts on a variety of topics
  • More "how-tos", lets be honest, nobody cares that I am growing redwoods in my house. More useful step by step guides to do things applicable to a wider audience (smart phone users, programmers, etc...) may drive traffic from search engines.
  • Post design, as a corollary to the previous point. I could change the style of my post. Typically I explain why I worked on a particular problem, then how to solve it, with examples, etc. If I was searching the Internet for some tips on solving a coding problem, I would want the solution to be right up front. I may lead off my posts with the "solution" and let the viewers read on if they like to my back story.
  • I will post a sequel to my blockbuster "Korean font on WinMo" post series. I have to give the people what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment