Sunday, June 27, 2010

GeoDjango review - part 2

In order to have a real understanding of what GeoDjango could offer I needed to get my hands dirty.

Following this installation guide I went about creating my own GeoDjango stack locally.

My stack included the following components:

  • Windows Vista Home Premium x64

  • Python 2.6.2

  • PostgreSQL 8.3.11-1 (PostGIS not available for 8.4 yet[1])

  • PostGIS 1.3.6

  • psycopg2-2.0.10.win32

  • GeoDjango installer[2] (for windows , bundles together Django 1.1, GDAL 1.6.0, PROJ 4.6.1 and the GeoDjango components)



Following installing the software I went through the basic GeoDjango tutorial to load the a sample "World Borders" shape file data set to PostGIS and create necessary models in the Django db.

Following these steps worked perfectly for me, there is nothing I can really add. I would say that one feature that is missing from the tutorials, sample projects online and I would daresay, geodjango itself is a default viewer for viewing your entire layer set on one map. I couldn't find any such advice on taking this to the next step and it was not included in their default admin site, you can only view the world border records one at a time on individual screens.

To get a better sense of the Django framework's features I went through some of those "Hello World" style examples to build some basic templates and views with their framework, which I have to say being new to Python and modern webframeworks in general was quite easy.

Essentially I went through chapters 1 - 4 of the online The Django Book in an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment